Bouncer attack victim is young rugby league star left with ‘bleed on the brain’

A teenage rugby player suffered serious head injuries in a brawl outside a nightclub, which appears to have involved eight bouncers.

Footage of the fight, which shows a group of Manchester doormen throwing punches and kicks at two men, has been widely shared on social media.

Joe Sharratt, an 18-year-old academy player at St Helens RFC, was hospitalised following the incident, which happened in the early hours of Sunday morning.

His mum, Jane, told the BBC that he had a bleed on the brain but he was now "sitting up and talking".

The teenager was injured outside the Factory nightclub in Manchester city centre, the Liverpool Echo reports.

At the start of the brawl, one man can be seen being punched to the floor before the bouncers surround another man.

As he falls onto his hands and knees the bouncers are seen punching the man in his back.

Joe has been described by club officials as a "top academic achiever" and of "impeccable character".

A spokesperson for St.Helens R.F.C. said: "The club is aware of an incident in Manchester at the weekend involving Academy player Joe Sharratt.

"Joe suffered serious head injuries and has been hospitalised.

"We understand GM Police are investigating the matter and therefore we cannot make any further comment at this time.

"Joe is of impeccable character and is an upstanding member of our Academy system. He represented Lancashire Schoolboys against Australian Schoolboys with distinction on Saturday and was hoping to represent England next weekend.

"He is a top academic achiever with a very bright future ahead of him alongside his rugby league prowess.

"Our welfare team are now in contact with Joe’s family and we will offer any assistance we can at this distressing time.

"Understandably, our thoughts are now with Joe and his family."

It is understood Joe is in a stable condition in hospital.

Greater Manchester Police are now appealing to anyone with further video footage of the incident in the early hours of Sunday to get in touch.

Manchester council meanwhile has confirmed it has also launched an investigation, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Chief Inspector Cherie Buttle, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "We’re aware that there are a number of videos circulating on social media and I cannot stress how important it is that those with footage make contact with us.

"With a mobile phone at everyone’s fingertips, filming something is often the first thing people think to do but please, pass this onto us to so we can fully investigate this matter.

"While it was early in the morning, this happened on a busy street so there may have been people who have seen something but have not yet been in touch with us."

Factory posted a statement on Facebook saying they were ‘shocked’ after viewing footage of the incident.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Orphans face losing family home
  • -7C temperature plunge
  • Proposal nightmare
  • Inside ‘cruel joke’ Celebrations advent

Source: Read Full Article