Get this, it is estimated that only 20% of clothing around the globe actually gets recycled or upcycled. That leaves the remaining 80% to meet its fate in landfills or in an incinerator, both of which emit harmful CO2 into the environment. So before you start tossing out all of the textiles in your closet to make way for a new wardrobe of summer clothes, ask yourself, are there items worth salvaging?
In the case of small rips, tears, and clothing that could use a bit of patchwork, simply sewing your old jeans, t-shirts, blouses, and jackets back together will help you not only enjoy your outfits for longer, but it also helps them avoid the landfill for longer. It is a win-win situation.
While sewing by hand is time-consuming and tedious and sewing machines are expensive investments, there is a middle ground to be had, and it comes in the form of a portable sewing machine.
The Handy Dandy Portable Sewing Machine (now on sale for $24.95) is a handheld alternative that has the power of typical sewing machine but without any of the bulk. The stitching device looks (and operates) similarly to that of a stapler. Simply slip your clothing into the machine, and press down on the button to begin stitching your way through curtains, pants, tops, and more. The Handy Dandy Portable Sewing Machine works on pretty much all fabrics and has multiple speed settings so you can work as fast or as slow as you need to. And true to its name, it features a compact, portable design which allows you to travel with the machine — hey, accidents happen even when you’re on vacation.
Considering most traditional sewing machines would set you back a few hundred bucks, the Handy Dandy Portable Sewing Machine’s new discount makes it an absolute bargain. Currently, shoppers can add the device to their cart for $24.95 — or for 58% off its normal retail price tag.
Source: Read Full Article