Andy Murray told off for not wearing coronavirus face mask ahead of first official match in nine months

ANDY MURRAY admits he received a ticking off for accidentally breaking strict Covid-19 tennis rules at the Cincinnati Masters.

The Scot is in New York to play the rearranged Western & Southern Open which takes place at Flushing Meadows a week before the US Open.

The former world No1 has a wildcard place in the draw – unlike Japan’s Kei Nishikori who remains positive with coronavirus and may have to miss the return of pro tennis.

Murray, who plays American Frances Tiafoe in the first round, revealed that after his practice session he forgot to put on his face mask straightaway.

He said: “On Thursday, I finished my practice and as I worked off the court, I probably took ten or 15 steps and one of the ladies came up to me.

“She asked if I had a mask and if I could put it on, which I had forgotten.

“But there are people around making sure we aren’t making too many mistakes.

“I feel comfortable now that I am here. But I did have concerns beforehand.

“I have felt relaxed since getting into the bubble. I have been tested twice.

“There is security making sure everyone on site has their masks on. There are hand sanitisers everywhere. From what I have seen, so far everyone seems to be doing the right things.”

This will be the first tennis Slam since lockdown was imposed and it will be played behind closed doors.

Ahead of his first official match since November, Muzza, 33, said: “The USTA have done an excellent job of setting everything up. The plaza outside is really nice.

“It feels a bit sad there are no fans watching the matches. I felt that as I was walking through the grounds.

“It’s nice walking to your practice courts not getting stalked or anything but then the atmosphere isn’t the same without the people.

“I’m staying in the tournament hotels. I spoke about private housing but the costs were astronomical. So, I went for the bubble.

“It’s nice, they have done a good job at the hotel, they have games and arcades, which I enjoy. I am still a bit of a child in that respect.

“They put on different food in the evenings, we can get deliveries. The room is absolutely fine. There is a gym there.”

World No31 Nishikori will remain in isolation into early next week and could miss the start of the US Open on August 31.

The 2014 US Open runner-up tested positive in Florida last Sunday and is unable to travel to New York until he provides a negative result.


Source: Read Full Article