Brit climber, 44, who died on Mount Everest said 'delays could be fatal' just hours before he collapsed near summit

A BRITISH climber who died on Mount Everest said overcrowding on the mountain could be "fatal" just hours before the tragedy.

Robin Haynes Fisher, 44, was 150m from the top of the world's highest mountain when he collapsed in the so-called "death zone", which is known for having low levels of oxygen.

He chillingly revealed on social media how he had changed his plans to avoid the crowds on Everest just hours before he died on the descent.

The climber said: "With a single route to the summit, delays caused by overcrowding could prove fatal so I am hopeful my decision to go for the 25th will mean fewer people.

"Unless of course everyone else plays the same waiting game."

Robin is the tenth person to die on Everest this season – with most suffering weakness, exhaustion and delays on the crowded route to the summit.


He had been descending down the 8,850m peak when he fainted but sadly his guides couldn't save him.

His partner Kristyn Carriere has now paid tribute to him on social media, saying: "He got his goal. My heart is broken. It was his ultimate challenge."

Robin, from Birmingham, has been described as an "aspirational adventurer" who "lived life to the full" by his distraught family.

They said: "He achieved so much in his short life, climbing Mont Blanc, Aconcagua and Everest.

"He was a 'tough guy', triathlete, and marathoner. A champion for vegetarianism, published author, and a cultured theatre-goer, lover of Shakespeare.


"We are deeply saddened by his loss as he still had so many more adventures and dreams to fulfil.

"Every one who ever met him in any capacity will always remember the positive impact he had on their lives.

"Robin is a much loved and loving son, brother, partner, uncle, and friend."

Nepal is under fire over the number of permits it has issued following overcrowding fears.

This Spring season, which ends this month, 381 have been issued – costing £8,600 each.

Dad-of-two Kevin Hynes died earlier this week as he attempted to scale the Everest summit.

The 56-year-old, from Galway, Ireland, was coming from the Tibetan (North) side on Friday morning as part of a team of six along with three expert sherpas.

He died in his tent at 7,000m after turning back before reaching the summit.

His death came just over a week after dad-of-one Séamus Lawless, from Bray, Co Wicklow went missing after falling up to 500m from the Balcony area of Everest in temperatures of -27C.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are in contact with relevant tour operators following reports that British climber has died on Mount Everest and are ready to provide support to the family."

Source: Read Full Article