Brit mountaineer scales Europe's highest mountain five days after recovering from coronavirus

A BRIT mountaineer scaled Europe's tallest mountain in a day – just a few days after recovering from coronavirus

Office manager Akke Rahman, from Oldham, climbed Mount Elbrus last week after beating Covid-19 and made it to the top in a whirlwind trip to Russia – thanks to a rapidly expiring visa.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

He said: "Slowly it's just starting to sink in, the accomplishment – what I've done and how people will look at it."

The 38-year-old, a former amateur athlete, only took up mountaineering last year as a way to improve his fitness.

He said: "One day I just thought I need to do something to change my life and leave a legacy for my kids and inspire people to get fit, because a lot of the Asian community, they're not really very active."

He started by scaling Mount Snowdon in Wales last June, vowing that if he enjoyed it he would then go on to tackle Elbrus.

"It was probably the hardest climb of my life, only 1,000m up Snowdon," he said.

"But I loved it and I came back and I booked the Elbrus expedition two or three days later."

He initially attempted to climb Elbrus last September, but had to abandon partway through because of adverse weather.

And he booked again earlier this year but his attempts to reach Russia were repeatedly scuppered by restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic, confusion over travel arrangements and finally, last month, his own positive Covid test.

Thankfully, his symptoms were minor and he was able to continue training in his home gym.

"I was still running 10k in 50 minutes which is kind of slow for me, but given the circumstances I was happy with that," he said.

After two negative tests he was finally able to fly to Russia, but the repeated delays meant that when he arrived in the country last week, he only had three days left on his visa.

It meant that he had to complete the hike, which normally takes several days, in no more than two.

He felt confident he would be able to achieve the feat, having recently scaled both Mont Blanc and Kilimanjaro and found he was not strongly affected by the altitude.

In the end, Mr Rahman said he only needed one day to climb Ebrus, setting off at around 11am on Thursday – five days after being given the all-clear from Covid – and reaching the summit at around 9am on Friday.

In an Instagram post about the trek, Up The Mountain, the expedition company that facilitated his walk, wrote: "Even well-trained people have no good results with Elbrus summit, and successful attempts with such short time acclimatization are very rare.

"We congratulate Aklakur with this great personal victory!"

Source: Read Full Article