Tory MP Nick Boles is threatened with deselection and accused of being ‘unpatriotic’ for saying he will QUIT the party to stop a no deal Brexit
- Nick Boles said he would vote in any way necessary to stop a no deal Brexit
- Threat sparked a furious reaction from his local Tory association in Grantham
- Association chairman said Boles will commit political suicide if carried out threat
Nick Boles has been threatened with deselection after he vowed to quit the Tory party if Theresa May presses ahead with a no deal Brexit.
The Tory MP for Grantham and Stamford warned he would vote ‘in any way necessary’ to stop Britain crashing out without a deal.
But his remarks have sparked a furious row with the chairman of his local Conservative Association Philip Sagar and party members.
Mr Sagar accused Mr Boles of being unpatriotic and said he has been flooded with calls for him to be deselected for the controversial remark.
And he warned it would be committing ‘political suicide’ if Mr Boles joined leading Tory Remainers like Anna Soubry in doing whatever it takes to stop a no deal.
The extraordinary row highlights the bitter Tory civil war which continues to rage over Brexit as MPs break up for the Christmas break today.
Nick Boles (pictured in the Commons earlier this year) has been threatened with deselection after he vowed to quit the Tory party if Theresa May presses ahead with a no deal Brexit
Nick Boles stuck to his position despite the massive backlash it has triggered among his local party members
British holidaymakers turn to Tunisia, Cuba and Mexico and…
No Christmas truce in the Cabinet: Theresa May slaps down…
Share this article
In a letter to local party members, Mr Sagar blasted: ‘For Nick to fall in line now with the likes of Anna Soubry and threaten (but not in so many words) to potentially bring down the government is not in my view patriotic but is sadly only an act of personal political suicide if indeed he were to actually go ahead and do it and I am sorry that he felt the need to make this threat at all – it is not helpful to the debate.’
But despite the lashing, Mr Boles dug in and repeated his threat.
He said on Twitter: ‘I do not relish being accused of a lack of patriotism by the chairman of my Conservative association.
‘But I will not be deterred from doing my duty.’
Mr Boles has been plotting with Labour MPs to push for a Norway-style Brexit deal, which would keep free movement and mean Britain would have to swallow EU rules while having no say in what they are.
On Tuesday Cabinet ministers approved plans to ramp up no deal Brexit preparations – pouring an extra £2billion into them.
It comes amid mounting fears Britain is hurtling towards a no deal Brexit as squabbling MPs remain at war over the crunch talks.
While some minsters used the meeting at Number Ten to call for a managed no deal Brexit.
Amber Rudd (pictured left last night on Peston) has triggered a new split in the Cabinet by hinting at support for a second referendum on Brexit – while Andrea Leadsom (right today in Westminster) said that would be ‘unacceptable’ and endorsed a ‘managed no deal’
Theresa May (pictured in Downing Street today) warned her warring ministers that her deal was the only Brexit plan available today
But Mr Boles blasted the calls branding them a ‘dangerous myth’.
He added: ‘No Conservative should trifle with the livelihoods and security of the British people in the way that advocates of a ‘managed no deal’ Brexit seem willing to do.’
The furious row comes as Theresa May today scrambled to try and force her warring ministers back into line after fresh splits erupted last night.
Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd said she could ‘see the argument’ for a new referendum if Parliament votes down the deal.
But Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom hit back to say a new was ‘unacceptable’ – but then backed another alternative to the PM’s deal, a so-called ‘managed no deal’.
And the PM’s official spokesman also slapped down Ms Rudd – pointing out she had backed the deal.
Asked if a second referendum was plausible if Parliament remains gridlocked, the spokesman said: ‘No.
‘The Work and Pensions Secretary has been clear on three things: the priority is to get the vote through Parliament, she does not want a people’s vote or a referendum, and she has asked all colleagues to support the Government’s deal.
‘As you know the Prime Minister has been very clear on the dangers of calling a second referendum. She is focused on winning the vote on the deal that has been agreed.’
Source: Read Full Article