Police in fresh hunt for remains of Surrey woman missing since 2002

Police and Army forensic teams dig up Surrey village in hunt for remains of Tina Baker whose husband was jailed for murder in 2006 despite body never being found

  • Surrey Police say search of Priest Lane, Bisley, is hunt for remains of Tina Baker
  • She went missing from her Surrey home in 2002 and her body was never found
  • Husband Martin Gerald Baker was convicted of her murder at Old Bailey in 2006
  • Latest search for her body, including help from Army, follows new information 

Police, specialist forensic teams and the Army are today digging-up ground in a Surrey village as they hunt for the remains of a missing woman who has not been seen in almost two decades.

Tina Baker went missing from her Surrey home in July 2002, with her former SAS soldier husband Martin Gerald Baker jailed for life in 2006 for her murder.

However Mrs Baker’s body was never found and there were fears that the 41-year-old was thrown to the pigs at the couple’s farm in Chobham.

Today, Surrey Police have confirmed they will dig land near Priest Lane, Bisley, on the border of the Woking and Surrey Heath boroughs throughout this week as part of a search for their remains.

Surrey Police, who will be supported by the British Army in the search, say the latest search follows a tip-off.

Tina Baker (pictured right) went missing from her Surrey home in July 2002, with her former SAS soldier husband Martin Gerald Baker (pictured left) jailed for life in 2006 for her murder

Detective Inspector Chris Rambour from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: ‘The investigative work around Tina Baker’s death has continued since 2006 and we have received information which has resulted in our decision to carry out further investigation at this location in Bisley.

‘Surrey Heath Borough Council are aware of the activity taking place and Surrey Police will be assisted by the British Army.

‘We wanted to make local residents aware of the reasons for the increased police presence in the area and apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused.

‘However, it is extremely important to us that we do everything we can to provide answers and closure for Tina’s family and friends, and our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time.’

Ms Baker was initially reported missing after last being seen in Sunbury on July 8 2002. But the investigation became a murder enquiry in October 2002.

Detectives found no trace of Mrs Baker, despite an extensive search – including checking if she made off after winning the lottery.

The pig’s swill and manure were checked after Mr Baker’s first wife, Gillian Hopkins, told police he had threatened her before their divorce.

In 2005, following an extensive investigation by the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, Mr Baker was arrested and charged with her murder.

In 2006, he appeared at the Central Criminal Court in London where he was sentenced to 14 years behind bars.

Baker, then a 54-year-old engineer, feared he would lose the £100,000 14-acre Brookfield Farm in nearby Chobham after Mrs Baker walked out on him, the Old Bailey heard. 

In 2008, Baker lost an appeal against the murder conviction after three judges at London’s Court of Appeal ruled the original Old Bailey conviction was safe. 

Following the conviction, enquiries continued by Surrey Police in order to find out what happened to Tina Baker’s body.

Source: Read Full Article