Trump asked for options for attacking Iran last week before backing off: source

Save articles for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.

Washington: US President Donald Trump asked for options on attacking Iran's main nuclear site last week but ultimately decided against taking the dramatic step, a US official said on Monday.

Trump made the request during a meeting on Thursday with his top national security aides, including Vice President Mike Pence, his new acting defence secretary Christopher Miller, and General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the official said.

US President Donald Trump listens in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, DC.Credit:Bloomberg

The official confirmed the account of the meeting in The New York Times, which reported that the advisers persuaded Trump not to go ahead with a strike because of the risk of a broader conflict.

"He asked for options. They gave him the scenarios and he ultimately decided not to go forward," the official said.

Reuters

Most Viewed in World

Source: Read Full Article