Warning as major storm could become 'monstrous threat' to US state in DAYS as Gaston heads east | The Sun

A RAPIDLY developing storm poses a "monstrous threat" as experts warn that it could slam into the US as early as next week.

The disturbance that may hit Florida in the near future could become the next named system and even turn into a hurricane, meteorologists say.

Hurricane Fiona was upgraded to Category 4 status on Wednesday after it lashed Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.

Wind speeds of up to 130mph have been reported, according to the US National Hurricane Center.

The storm is not expected to weaken until Friday at the earliest and it may hit east Canada on Saturday

While Hurricane Fiona is blazing through the Atlantic, meteorologists have found a threatening cluster of storms that are entering the Gulf of Mexico.

One storm, which is likely to become the next named tropical storm, Hermine, could become a massive threat that hits lands in days, according to CNN meteorologists.

Models are showing the storm moving toward the central Caribbean Sea later in the week.

By the end of next week,it could enter the Gulf of Mexico and it could hit the Florida panhandle by September 30.

"The fact that nearly every computer model out there develops this into a westward-moving hurricane is absolutely concerning," said meteorologist Chad Myers.

Most read in The Sun


Camilla 'spat out her tea at Harry's "ridiculous" suggestion to heal rift'


'Hurt and exhausted' Queen's reaction to Megxit is revealed by friend


This Morning's Gino D'Acampo left fuming as he's cut off during announcement


This Morning axe fan favourite after Holly and Phil Queen's queue backlash

There's a 70 percent chance the storm will become a tropical depression in 48 hours and a 90 percent chance the development will take place in the next five days.

While the models show the wave is heading west, it's important to note that they aren't always accurate.

"There's a lot of uncertainty right now," Maria Torres, a spokesperson with the National Hurricane Center, said.

"But yes, it's something that we are keeping an eye on and that we are closely monitoring as we get into the weekend and early next week."

The National Weather Service has also said that it's a bit too far out to determine whether or not it's a threat.

"For now, monitor the forecast and review your plans in case you need them later," NWS tweeted.


The conditions in the Gulf of Mexico are ripe for development.

This storm comes on the heels of Tropical Storm Gaston, which will head toward Portugal in the coming days, according to NBC6.

Meteorologists expect Gaston to remain a "fish storm" as it will only affect marine life.

Ships may be forced to redirect their route to avoid the tempest.


Hurricane Fiona has been blamed for the deaths of four people after it tore through the Caribbean.

Shocking photos show the wreckage that Fiona brought to Puerto Rico, plunging around 70 percent of residents into darkness as electricity was wiped out.

The National Weather Service also issued a heat advisory during the outage.

The storm killed a man in Guadeloupe, another man in Puerto Rico, and two more in the Dominican Republic, CBS News reported.

The victim in Puerto Rico was horrifically swept away by a swollen river while falling trees and an electric post claimed the lives of the DR residents.

The blackout was responsible for two more deaths in Puerto Rico.

An elderly man burned to death after he tried to fill his generator with gasoline while it was running, and another older man inhaled toxic gases emitted from his generator.

Experts continue to warn people to make a plan in case a hurricane strikes as conditions are primed for more horrific natural disasters to develop.

"The water is extremely warm, and the atmosphere is very conducive for rapid development," said Myers.


This comes as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicted that this year would be an above-average hurricane season.

NOAA predicted there was a 65 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.

The administration predicted there would be 14 to 21 named storms, of which six to 10 could become hurricanes.

By the end of August, the season had seen three named storms with none developing last month.

Despite this, experts are keeping a close eye on the Atlantic systems as there's still quite a bit left of the season.

"People tend to lower their guard and think, 'Oh, yeah, we're out of the woods,'" said Torres.

"But in reality, the season continues. We are still in September. We still have October to go.

Read More on The US Sun

Expert reveals Khloe Kardashian’s key trait which makes her a ‘militant’ mom

"Anything that forms over either the Atlantic or the Caribbean is something that we need to keep monitoring very closely."

Hurricane season in the Atlantic ends on November 30.

Source: Read Full Article