Covid masks: Richard Madeley says he's 'in the minority'
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Richard Madeley, 65, has regularly appeared as a guest host on Good Morning Britain over the past few weeks, presenting the ITV show alongside Piers Morgan’s former co-star Susanna Reid, 50. However, the star recently insisted he is not stepping into Piers’ former seat as part of a “trial” in a bid to become GMB’s permanent host.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with Express.co.uk, Richard said: “It’s not a trial because I’ve already done it dozens of times.
“I’m just going in to fill in, I’m just doing a few days in June.
“I don’t think there’s any significance to that.”
Explaining the producers’ plans after Piers’ sudden departure in March, he added: “It’s just now that the Covid restrictions are lifting a bit and they’re allowing more presenters in, it’s just me going back to what I did before, which is to fill in.”
Despite hitting back at claims he’s taking part in a “trial”, Richard also said he would “take it very seriously” if ITV decided to offer him a permanent role on the programme.
He continued: “Yes, if they were to ask me, I would take that very seriously and I would think about it very seriously.
“But they haven’t asked me, and I have no reason to expect them to.
“Although, I’ve seen the bookies’ odds and I’ve seen, you know, the opinion polls and I seem to feature in them.
“Well that’s nothing to do with reality, you know, the reality is, it’s a contract.
“It’s not an opinion poll and it’s not bookies’ favourites, you know, that’s not real.”
Addressing rumours about his future on the show, Richard pointed out: “You can’t let that kind of thing, frankly, make you take yourself seriously, because that’s fatal.
“We’ll just see, we’ll just see what happens. But at the moment, there’s absolutely nothing on the table and I’m just filling in.”
Ellie Harrison details ‘unpleasant’ moment with Adam Henson [COMMENT]
Cannes 2021: Model Candice Swanepoel puts on risqué red carpet display [PICS]
Judy Murray swipes at ‘middle-aged men’ over Emma Raducanu drama [OPINION]
Richard is said to be the bookies’ favourite to replace Piers permanently, after stepping in for him many times previously.
Piers presented Good Morning Britain for five years alongside Susanna, but left after sparking over 57,000 Ofcom complaints over comments he made about Meghan Markle.
He has since been replaced by various co-presenters including Ben Shephard and Adil Ray.
Piers has since said he doesn’t know what he will do next following his exit from the programme.
Richard recently shared some exciting family news on GMB, revealing that his and wife Judy Finnigan’s son Jack’s wedding finally went ahead after uncertainty due to the coronavirus pandemic.
He told viewers and Susanna: “Jack got married! There were 150 people. It was outside so we could have dancing.
“Everybody got tested later and nobody got Covid. Everyone’s happy.
“It was a beautiful day. It was the one sunny day of weather because on the Friday and Sunday it was pouring down, but on Saturday it was lovely.”
“I’m so relieved for you because there’s been so much angst about it,” Susanna replied.
Source: Read Full Article