AS the long nights in lockdown continue, I thought I’d bring you two brilliant meals you can prepare in a slow cooker – which is such a great piece of equipment to have in the kitchen.
Both these dishes are comforting, but still healthy. They are “no-cook bags”, which means you add all the ingredients to a large freezer bag, place it flat in the freezer, then you take it out when you need it. Simply defrost and then add the contents to your slow cooker. Easy.
Slow cooker beef stroganoff
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-6 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high
- 800g stewing beef
- 2 cups (140g) frozen sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup (115g) frozen diced onions
- ½ cup (120ml) red wine
- 1 cup (240ml) beef stock (use 1 stock cube)
- To serve: 300ml crème fraiche
- As this is a no-cook bag, simply put all the ingredients into a large freezer bag and label it.
- Ready to freeze: Place the freezer bag flat in the freezer.
- Ready to cook: Defrost in the fridge overnight. When defrosted, you can simply pour the bag into the slow cooker.
- Cook for five to six hours on low, or for three to five hours on high (it is best when cooked on low).
- Add the crème fraiche 30 minutes before serving to create the creamy sauce for the stroganoff.
- Great served with rice and broccoli.
Aubergine, sweet potato and pepper stew
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 hours on high, or 4-5 hours low
- 1 large aubergine, chopped into chunks
- 2 cups (352g) frozen sweet potato chunks
- 2 cups (270g) frozen diced peppers
- 1 tsp frozen chopped garlic
- 1 cup (220g) frozen diced onions
- 2 cartons passata, 500g each
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ cup vegetable stock (approx 220ml – use 1 stock cube)
- Salt and pepper
- As this is a no-cook bag, simply put all the ingredients into your labelled reusable freezer bag and freeze.
- Ready to cook: Empty the contents into your slow cooker and cook on high for three to four hours or on low for five hours.
- To serve: This stew goes very well with rice and a dollop of yoghurt.
- Pep it up a little bit with some coriander and chilli.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article