Little-known way grandparents can boost income by £1,000s – how to get it | The Sun

GRANDPARENTS may want to make a note of a little-known tip that could help them to boost their income by thousands of pounds.

Families looking to cut expensive childcare costs are turning to relatives for help.

But many grandparents don't know that they can be financially compensated for their time.

And their time could be worth thousands of pounds in extra credits from the government.

These credits are known as "specified adult childcare credits" and they count as a national insurance (NI) credit for those who don't otherwise work.

This is important because you need at least 10 years' worth of NI credits to qualify for the state pension, and at least 35 years' worth to get it in full.


Martin Lewis’ MSE reveals little-known way parents can get free nappies

Thousands of families still miss out on £2,000 free childcare cash a year

You can't apply for the 2022/23 tax year yet, but you can apply for backdated childcare national insurance credits back to 2011.

So if you think you might be eligible to put in an application, it could turn out to be pretty worthwhile.

One grandmother previously told The Sun she lost out on £800 a year in state pension payments.

If someone had been providing childcare every year since 2011/12, and now put in a claim for all years from 2011/12 until 2021/22, this would be eleven years of credits and could add just over £3,000 per year.

Most read in Money


Major bank's website went DOWN leaving hundreds without access to online banking


My neighbour's plant ruined my garden – it's worse than Japanese knotweed


Energy bills to fall by up to £426this summer as new price cap confirmed


Inside new Greggs where sausage rolls are half price & 2 donuts cost just 55p

How to check if you're eligible

To be eligible, the carer must be under state pension age, which is 66 years old.

The child must also be under 12 years old, or 17 if they have disabilities.

To claim, you must live in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Plus, you're only eligible if the child's parent is entitled to child benefit and has a qualifying year for national insurance without needing the parent’s class 3 national insurance credits which they receive automatically from child benefit.

There is no minimum requirement for the number of hours of care to qualify.

And if you looked after your grandkids remotely during lockdown, you can also still claim.

You can check your national insurance record on the GOV.UK website to see if you have any gaps in contributions.

How much can you claim?

How much you'll get in extra credits depends on how long you've been looking after your grandchildren.

Each yearly credit is worth 1/35 of the value of the state pension, which is currently around £275 per year.

This works out at around £5,000 over a a 20-year retirement.

You can also backdate claims from as far back as 2011.

So if you've been taking care of your grandkids since 2011, you could get around £3,000 towards your state pension.

To calculate how much you'll get, simply multiply the number of years with £275 to get a rough idea.

How to claim the credits

These credits are complicated as getting them involves parents signing over their child benefit national insurance credit to someone else.

Of course, parents should only do this if they're already in work or earning credits another way themselves.

You should also be aware that only one grandparent or family member can receive the credit and the credit isn't per child, but per child benefit claimant.

So if, for example, two grandparents care for their daughter and her partner’s two children, there is only one credit available and the daughter will have to decide which grandparent should have the credit.

But if the grandparents care for their daughter’s child and their son’s child, there are likely to be two child benefit recipients – one for each set of parents.

So then there would be two national insurance credits available for transfer.

You can apply for the credits using this form on the government's website.

Applications for Specified Adult Childcare Credits can be made from the October after the tax year the credits are being applied for.

Once you've filled in your details, the child’s parent (or main carer) must also agree to your application by countersigning the form.

If you need any help you can call the national insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500.

Read More on The Sun

I’m a mum of 12 & here’s my weekly shop – I need FOUR trolleys

Primark shoppers rush to buy ‘bargain’ bedroom essential for just £3

Meanwhile, we explain ways to boost your state pension by up to £3,800 this year.

Plus, one mum told us how she got £250 free cash while on maternity leave with little-known tax break.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article