Assassin who gunned down man at London bagel shop jailed for 27 years

Assassin, 20, who chased and gunned down victim, 29, at a north London bagel shop is jailed for 27 years

  • Khallid Hogan, 20, chased and assassinated Abdullahi Mahamoud, 29, in Enfield
  • Hogan jumped out of a car and shot him in the head near Bagel Brotherz last year
  • He has been jailed for life after being found guilty of murder by an Old Bailey jury

An assassin who carried out a ‘cold-blooded’ hit at a bagel shop and left his phone on call to a friend to give him a false alibi has been jailed for at least 27 years.

Khallid Hogan, 20, gunned down Abdullahi Mahamoud, 29, at Bagel Brotherz in Enfield, north London in March 19 last year.

International relations student Alexander Weekes, 21, kept Hogan’s phone on the line as the shooting happened in a bid to cheat justice.

The jury had heard Abdullahi visited the Bagel Brotherz restaurant in Hertford Road, Enfield and as he waited for his food, Hogan walked into the restaurant and started firing a gun at him.

Hogan fired his gun four times towards Abdullahi, but all four bullets missed him, as well as the five other people in the restaurant.

Abdullahi then fled through a back door into a large yard of garages in an attempt to get away but as he was climbing a concrete wall, Hogan fired another shot towards him, which hit him in the head.

Abdullahi collapsed a short distance later while Hogan fled the scene and, despite the efforts of medical professionals, Abdullahi died in hospital later the same day.

Khallid Hogan has been jailed for life and must serve a minimum of 27 years after a court found him guilty of assassinating Abdullahi Mohamoud (pictured) with a pistol in March last year

Police at the scene of the shooting in Enfield, North London, shortly after the attack last year

Detectives say they believe Hogan was tipped off about Abdullahi’s visit to the fast food shop and had tracked him down to carry out the attack using a 9mm Makarov self-loading pistol. 

During the attack, a phone belonging to Hogan was on an active call with Weekes, then a student at Northampton University.

The call lasted 56 minutes and Hogan’s phone remained in the Toyota Aygo for the duration as it drove to an area northwest of Bagel Brotherz.

Hogan denied the offence but was convicted of murder by a jury at the Old Bailey and was jailed for life and must serve a minimum of 27 years before he can be considered for parole.

Judge Alexia Durran said: ‘There is only one mitigating factor in your case – I have to take into account your youth.

‘Without your youth I would have no hesitation in passing a sentence above 30 years.’

Detectives say they believe Hogan (pictured) was tipped off about Abdullahi’s movements and tracked him down at the fast food restaurant before he assassinated him with a hand gun 

The judge referred to Hogan’s supportive family – his mother works for the NHS and his sister is a teacher.

‘What was chilling in footage viewed by the jury was the casual manner in the way you undertook what was plainly assassination.’

She said it was clear Weekes knew Mr Hogan was involved in criminal activity.

Earlier prosecutor Julian Evans said: ‘Abdullahi Mahamoud was the victim of a planned shooting.

‘An armed man confronted him inside Bagel Brotherz and tried to shoot him.

‘The gunman chased him and then shot at him again, hitting him in the arm and head.

‘The injury to his head was the cause of death. It was plainly unlawful. Khallid Hogan was the gunman.

‘Alexander Weekes, the second defendant, was not in Enfield that afternoon. He was in Northampton where he was studying at university.

Alex Weekes was jailed for 20 months after being convicted of perverting the course of justice

‘Plainly, Weekes cannot have been the man who drove the gunman to Bagel Brotherz that afternoon to carry out the shooting.

‘The identity of the driver is unknown.

‘The call from Hogan to Weekes at 4.25pm connected. It was to remain an active, connected call, for a period of 56 minutes.

‘In that time, the shooting took place.’

Hogan, of Manor Park Road, Enfield, denied but was convicted of murder and one count of perverting the course of justice.

Weekes, of St John’s Terrace, Enfield, denied but was also convicted of one count of perverting the course of justice.

Hogan was told he will serve a minimum sentence of 27 years less the 510 days he has already served.

Det Ch Insp Claire Hine, the lead investigator, said: ‘Hogan carried out a cold-blooded and premeditated attack on Abdullahi Mahamoud, shooting at him at least five times.

‘It was extremely fortunate that nobody else was injured in this incident, as there were four other people in the restaurant at the time.

‘Thanks to the tireless and meticulous work of my team of detectives, who pieced together Hogan’s movements on the day of the murder by analysing hours of CCTV footage and mobile phone data, he has now been convicted of murder and will spend a long time in prison.

‘Violence of this kind on the streets of London will not be tolerated and Met officers and detectives work 24/7 to ensure that people like Hogan are arrested and prosecuted as swiftly as possible.’ 

Source: Read Full Article