BBC newsreader Jane Hill breaks down on air reading emotional tributes after London Bridge terror inquest

BBC newsreader Jane Hill today struggled to fight back tears as she read an emotional statement from an inquest into the terrorist attack at Fishmongers’ Hall.

The 51-year-old TV presenter had to pause several times to compose herself on air as she updated viewers on the case.

In November 2019, Cambridge graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, were fatally stabbed by Usman Khan at a prisoner rehabilitation event in London.

Today, an inquest jury concluded that Saskia and Jack were "unlawfully killed" and failures by authorities had contributed to their deaths.

Reading out the jury's statement live on BBC News, Jane Hill said: "The jury would like to send their heartfelt condolences to the families of Saskia and Jack and all who love and miss these two wonderful people."

She could then be heard taking a long pause as she struggled to stop herself from crying.

The BBC did not film the newsreader during the emotional moment, instead choosing to display a still shot of Jack and Saskia side-by-side on screen.

Jane's voice then wobbled repeatedly as she slowly continued: "They touched the lives of so many and we want to convey to the families how seriously we've taken our responsibility."

She went on to apologise to viewers, saying: "I'm so sorry, it is a very, very emotional statement."

The statement was today given by a forewoman on behalf of the jury that paid tribute to Jack and Saskia.

In it, the forewoman added: "We also wanted to take this opportunity to thank the astonishing individuals who put themselves in real danger to help, and our incredible emergency services for their response both that day and every day.

"Once again to the families, we are so incredibly sorry. The world lost two bright stars that dreadful day."


It comes after members of the public bravely fought off Usman Khan with makeshift weapons in November 2019 and chased him onto London Bridge where he was shot dead by police.

One prison worker attacked Khan with a whale tusk he had taken from Fishmongers’ Hall, while a former prisoner, let off a fire extinguisher in his face.

Another prisoner on day release had tackled Khan, who wore a fake bomb vest, to the ground.

An inquest at the Guildhall in London heard that Khan had been released from prison 11 months earlier under strict licence conditions and was under investigation by counter-terrorism police and MI5.

But the "manipulative and duplicitous" terrorist hid his murderous intent from those tasked with keeping the public safe, the hearing was told.

The jury at the Guildhall criticised agencies involved in the management of attacker Usman Khan, saying there was "unacceptable management, a lack of accountability and deficiencies in management by Mappa (multi-agency public protection arrangements)".

Speaking outside the inquest today, Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu apologised to the victims' families for the policing failures that contributed to the attack.

He said: "The fact that, as the jury determined, there were omissions or failures in the management of the attacker, and in the sharing of information and guidance by the agencies responsible, is simply unacceptable and I am so deeply sorry we weren't better than this in November 2019."

He continued: "Even with the new changes in place, it remains true that managing the risk posed by terrorist offenders is an incredibly challenging job for all the agencies involved and the stark reality is that we can never guarantee that we will stop every attack, but I promise that we will do everything we can to try."

    Source: Read Full Article