GABBY Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie is being taken care of by someone while in hiding, and he is not in the woods on his own, an ex-FBI agent suggests.
According to Terry Turchie, “people don’t change because they become a fugitive. They tend to try to figure out how they can land in the comfort zone.”
The former deputy assistant director of the FBI’s Counterterrorism Division told Fox News it's unlikely that the 23-year-old is surviving in the wild, as many believe.
“Clearly he’s not out in some camp or some cave somewhere on the hard, cold ground or … snake-, gator-infested water. He’s somewhere where he’s probably being taken care of,” Turchie concluded.
"When you see how he came running home after something obviously happened, that kind of tells you what he's probably doing now.
Turchie added that driving to some far-away location is "exactly the kind of thing that that may very well be what he's doing," but Brian would have to have someone providing him with money.
Moreover, a simple traffic infraction could make "his fugitive run pretty short."
All fugitives "tire eventually, and many of them ended up being on the run for …. well over a decade," said Turchie. "But the formula is essentially the same."
Read our Brian Laundrie live blog for the very latest news and updates…
"You interview as many people who need this person as you can, you continue following that. You talk to neighbors, friends and you look for anything [the fugitive] might have said during a time that he didn't have this guard up where he hadn't done anything."
Turchie, who retired from the FBI in 2001, spent a year between 1998 and 1999 in the North Carolina mountains leading the hunt for Olympic bomber Eric Robert Rudolph.
The ex-FBI agent shared that "a key player" in the search for Rudolph was a man who shared some of the former fugitive's interests. The man had a health food store in North Carolina and had spent time talking to Rudolph before ultimately giving the FBI important information on the case.
Turchie suggested Brian could also be around people he knows or trusts.
Gabby's body was found in a Wyoming national park on September 19, days after her family reported her missing.
The manner of her death was ruled a homicide though a cause of death has not yet been confirmed, pending the release of an autopsy report.
The Teton County Coroner will hold the press conference on the 22-year-old vlogger's autopsy's findings Tuesday at 2.30PM EST.
The couple had been weeks into a cross country trip when Brian returned home to his parent's house without Gabby on September 1.
Brian is considered a person of interest in Gabby's death but has yet to officially be named a suspect.
He has been missing for nearly a month and is wanted on bank fraud charges for using a debit card that belonged to Gabby.
The FBI continues to search for Brian in Florida's Carlton reserve, where his parents claim he went hiking the last time they saw him.
Gabby Petito timeline
Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a hotel in Utah. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:
- June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie set off on a cross-country trip across the US.
- July 4 – Gabby posts photos of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself at the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves at Utah's Zion National Park.
- August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no significant injuries were reported.
- August 19 – Gabby and Brian post a video on their YouTube channel chronicling their trip.
- August 24 – Gabby is spotted leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- August 25 – Gabby Facetimes her mom, Nichole Schmidt, for the final time. In a later police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed "more and more tension" between her and Brian.
- August 25 – Gabby also posts her last Instagram. No location is given.
- August 27 – Gabby is seen for what's believed to be the final time. Witnesses claim they saw Brian in an explosive argument with staff at a restaurant in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
- August 27 – Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park drive past the couple's van "abandoned" on a dirt road.
- September 1 – Brian returns home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11 – Gabby's parents report her missing to Suffolk County police.
- September 14 – Brian's family issues a statement saying he has retained an attorney and will not be cooperating with investigators.
- September 14 – Brian is allegedly last seen by his family. He reportedly told them he was going hiking in Cartlon Reserve but failed to return.
- September 15 – Florida's North Port police announce Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
- September 16 – Utah police release body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 – Brian's parents say they have not seen their son in a couple of days and report him missing.
- September 18 – Police announce they were searching Carlton Reserve in Florida for Brian. Police announce they have not found anything.
- September 19 – Authorities in Wyoming say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI announces the body was believed to be Gabby's but a full forensic identification needs to be completed first to confirm.
- September 20 – Police execute a search warrant on Laundrie's home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain "evidence relevant to proving that a felony has been committed."
- September 21 – Officials announce they will be conducting an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police also resumed their search for Laundrie, this time on the Venice side of Carlton Reserve.
- September 21 – The FBI announced the body found in Wyoming was identified as Gabby's. The cause of death was not yet revealed.
- September 21 – The Teton County Coroner's office said Gabby's official cause of death was still pending but the initial manner of death is homicide.
- September 22 – Police continue to scour Carlton Reserve for a trace of Laundrie but yield no leads. A specialist dive team is called in to assist with the hunt.
- September 23 – Officials announced a federal arrest warrant for Brian was issued.
- September 26 – Gabby's funeral was held on Long Island, New York.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at email@example.com or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article