ASTROWORLD security and police were directed to refer to dead concert-goers as "smurfs" to avoid panic, according to the concert's security plan.
The words "dead" or "deceased" were never to be used on the radios, the plan – seen by The US Sun on Tuesday – states.
Rapper Travis Scott was heavily criticized for continuing his performance for more than 30 minutes while the concert turned into fatal pandemonium that claimed the lives of eight people and injured countless others on Friday.
The safety report included a highlighted section in all-capitalized block letters: "ALL EFFORTS SHOULD BE MADE TO NOT PANIC SPECTATORS. LET EVENT CONTINUE IF THREAT IS NOT IN THEIR AREA."
It's unclear if Scott was following this instruction or not, but these directions related to suspicious items or potential bomb threats.
The eight victims who died were between the ages for ages 14 and 27 and have since been identified.
At least 23 of the hundreds injured were hospitalized, five of whom were under 18. Eleven of those taken to hospital suffered cardiac arrest, officials said.
Since then, civil lawsuits against Scott and the promoter Live Nation have piled up and continue to grow and law enforcement are investigating to determine if criminal charges will be filed.
On Tuesday, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo – which is a political position equivalent to a county executive – announced there will be a full, independent review of the incident.
A mass of 50,000 people showed up for the two-day event, which sold out within an hour of tickets going live in May.
Read our Travis Scott Astroworld Festival live blog for the very latest news and updates…
Officials in Texas said the crowd began to "compress towards the front of the stage" at around 9.15pm, sparking panic.
Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña said: “We had at least eight confirmed fatalities today. We had scores of individuals injured at this event.”
He added that a "mass casualty incident" was triggered at 9:38 pm and investigations are ongoing.
"At approximately 9:15 pm the crowd began to compress towards the front of the stage and that caused some panic and it started causing some injuries," Peña said.
"People began to fall out, become unconscious, and it created additional panic," he continued.
Event organizers announced on Saturday, November 6 that the festival was canceled.
The statement read: "Our hearts are with the Astroworld Festival family tonight – especially those we lost and their loved ones.
"We are focused on supporting local officials however we can.
"With that in mind, the festival will no longer be held on Saturday."
Organizers said authorities were "looking into the series of cardiac arrests that took place."
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article