PRINCE Charles wanted to issue a point-by-point rebuttal to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's explosive interview with Oprah, it was claimed today.
The Prince of Wales is said to have been left upset by the claims made by his son – with Harry saying Charles stopped taking his calls at the height of Megxit.
👑 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest news...
The Sussexes also claimed they had faced racist comments during their time in the Royal Family – with Oprah later clarifying it had not been the Queen or Prince Philip who had been involved in the conversations.
Meghan, 39, also revealing she had struggled with her mental health and was told by someone within the institution that she could not receive help.
She also claimed that it had been Kate who made HER cry during wedding preparations – rather than the other way around.
Harry also claimed he had been cut off financially by his family in 2020 and had his security taken away.
The bombshell allegations has left the Royal Family reeling – issuing a statement saying "recollections may vary".
And a source today told The Sun Online: "There were different reactions when the palace was working out what to do.
"One, to take the Queen's view, to issue the quiet statement saying we are unhappy to hear they were unhappy.
"But Prince Charles wanted to rebut, point by point, the claims thad had been made."
However, they said that the Royal Family did not want to get caught up in a "tit for tat" rebuttal.
The Oprah interview was aired in the US overnight for the UK on Sunday before it was broadcast on Brit screens on Monday night.
However, Buckingham Palace did not officially respond until Wednesday.
When the official 64-word statement was released, the Queen said: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.
“Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”
Offering an olive branch after the interview, she added: “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
Prince Charles, 72, was this week seen at a royal engagement, chuckling nervously when he was quizzed about the interview.
However, Prince William yesterday insisted the Royal Family was "very much not a racist family".
Appearing at a school to raise awareness for mental health, the 39-year-old said he had not yet spoken to his brother – but would soon.
During the bombshell interview, Prince Harry said he would always love his brother but they were on "different paths"
However, he said he had been let down by his father, the future king.
Harry, 36, claimed his father stopped taking his phone calls for a period of time, saying: "When we were in Canada, I had three conversations with my grandmother and two conversations with my father, before he stopped taking my calls."
He added: "By that point I took matters into my own hands. I need to do this for my family.
"I’ve got to do something for my own mental health, for my wife’s and for Archie."
Meghan and Harry are now living in the US, raising their son Archie and expecting a little girl.
The couple revealed they were enjoying their new life, including going to the beach.
Clarence House has been approached for comment.
Source: Read Full Article