Disney fan, 24, ‘needed surgery after princess-themed glass from B&M exploded in her face as she drank’
- Lauren Perks, 24, was washing down a tablet with water when glass exploded
- She said the shattered Disney-themed cup left shards of glass in her stomach
- Lauren was put under anaesthetic for two hours as the glass was removed
A woman was left needing surgery to remove shards of glass from her mouth and stomach after a Disney princess-themed glass bought from B&M exploded in her face as she drank from it.
Lauren Perks, 24, from Barking, east London, was washing down a tablet with a glass of water on Thursday when the Disney-themed cup from B&M suddenly exploded.
She said she attempted to spit out chunks of glass but realised she had swallowed some with her medicine as she could feel a piece lodged in her chest.
Lauren and fiancée Kelly, 24, rushed to A&E where she says x-rays revealed she had swallowed numerous different sized pieces of glass that had made their way into Lauren’s chest and stomach and could have been ‘tearing her insides’.
The Disney fan, who is unemployed due to a disability, was put under general anaesthetic for two hours while medics picked fragments of glass from her stomach by inserting a tube down her throat.
Lauren Perks attempted to spit out chunks of glass but realised she had swallowed some with her medicine as she could feel a piece lodged in her chest
Lauren says she’s been in touch with B&M to complain who have asked for a photo of the receipt and a sample of the glass to help them investigate
Lauren said: ‘It’s literally such a freak accident. I was just having a drink. I took the glass out of the cupboard and poured myself a glass of water. As I was drinking it, the glass literally exploded and shattered in my face.
‘As I swallowed the tablet, I swallowed the glass as well. There was glass all in my mouth so I spat it out but I was bleeding.
‘Kelly came running in to see what the smashing noise was. She saw the blood in my mouth and the glass everywhere.
‘I wasn’t in pain at first, I was just in shock. It was so unexpected and I was really upset so I was crying.
‘Then a couple of minutes later, my chest started to hurt. I knew I’d swallowed some so we went to A&E. I had quite a few pieces in there and when they removed them the doctors said there were more than expected.
‘They said if they couldn’t get all the pieces out with the tube then they’d have to cut me open but luckily it worked.
‘They were worried the glass could have been tearing my insides. Then I had to stay in hospital for three days because they didn’t know if the glass had caused damage on the way up.’
She was hospitalised for three days until medics were certain that the glass hadn’t caused any internal damage and is taking medication to strengthen her stomach lining.
Lauren, who had been given the set of two glasses for Christmas, has since binned the other and refused to drink out of glass cups since.
The Disney fan, who is unemployed due to a disability, was put under general anaesthetic for two hours while medics picked fragments of glass from her stomach by inserting a tube down her throat
She said: ‘I’ve been second guessing myself, wondering if I did something wrong, if I’d put the hot tap on instead of cold but the water was definitely cold.
‘The glasses weren’t knocked after they were given to me, they were perfectly fine. I just can’t think of a reason it would explode like that.’
Lauren says she’s been in touch with B&M to complain who have asked for a photo of the receipt and a sample of the glass to help them investigate.
Lauren said: ‘I don’t want money or anything, I just want the glasses recalled. They’re Disney-themed so kids will be using them.
‘I’m still in pain, I’m still sore, my belly hurts and I’m scared to use glasses, I’ve only used plastic cups since.’
A B&M spokesperson said: ‘We are aware of this and we’re currently waiting for the customer to get back to us so we can investigate further.’
B&M were asked if the incident had been reported to Disney but failed to respond.
Disney have been contacted for comment.
Source: Read Full Article