Freddie Flintoff smiles on his last day with England cricket team after mentoring mates | The Sun

FREDDIE Flintoff today smiled on his last day with the England cricket team.

Flintoff was snapped coaching today ahead of the 3rd One Day International match between England and Ireland at the Seat Unique Stadium, Bristol.

Wearing an England-branded bucket hat, hoodie and sunglasses, he smiled as he watched the squad practise.

There were still signs on Freddie's face of the horror injuries he suffered after narrowly surviving a 130mph Top Gear smash.

His spell as a part-coach/part-mentor have been his first public appearances since his near-fatal car crash last year.

He worked with England in their four 50-over matches against New Zealand and was kept on for the three-match series against Ireland. 

After today’s match the World Cup squad will travel to India tomorrow evening.

Flintoff will not be involved in the World Cup but could be part of the white-ball tour of the Caribbean in December.

Last year he was driving a three-wheel, open-topped, 130mph Morgan Super 3 when it flipped and slid along a track while filming with Top Gear.

The car didn't have an airbag and Freddie was not wearing a helmet when he crashed at Dunsfold aerodrome, Surrey, on December 13.

Most read in Cricket


Flintoff has ‘sprinkled gold dust’ on England squad.. he should return full-time


Ben Stokes opens up on hair transplant after spotting bald patch on TV


Freddie Flintoff to keep coaching England as players praise ‘incredible’ help


Freddie Flintoff takes charge at England training as Top Gear Stig slams BBC

The cricketing ace had to wait 45 minutes to be airlifted to hospital.

The BBC have been accused of failings in its duty of care towards Flintoff.

After the first match at Headingley was washed out, England won the second game against Ireland by 48 runs at Trent Bridge on Saturday.

It comes after insiders said it is the "perfect time" for Freddie to make a cricketing come back.

Former England teammate Steve Harmison said that Freddie is in "good form" following his recovery.

Meanwhile it was revealed last week that Flintoff told Top Gear crew he had safety concerns on the day of his 130mph horror smash.

Senior BBC chiefs were made aware of the former telly host’s fears as a report into last December’s crash is finalised.

He waited 45 minutes for an air ambulance at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey, and has since quit the motoring show.

A source said: “Freddie voiced his worries about the safety of the stunt on set on the day of the accident.

“He questioned whether or not it was OK, given the vehicle and conditions on the track.

"He was apprehensive before he got behind the wheel and production staff at the track were aware of this.



I’m a budgeting fan – how to save £1k by Christmas using an easy jar trick


Emmerdale legend teases return to ITV soap seven years after dramatic exit

“He was obviously used to taking part in these stunts during his time on the show, but alarm bells were ringing.

“It has been openly discussed since the accident by Top Gear employees, who are in doubt whether the show will ever return to screens.”

Source: Read Full Article