THE Gabby Petito Foundation has officially been launched, her family revealed in a tweet on Sunday evening, as they still await the final result of the slain vlogger's autopsy.
"The Gabby Petito Foundation is up and running!," a post on the foundation's Twitter page read. "We have a lot of work to do, website is just starting out so be patient with us, we will get there. Thank you for all the support and love!"
The family then repeated the phrase coined by Gabby's dad in an Instagram post after her remains were found at a Wyoming campsite on September 19: "She touched the world."
Moments after the tweet was posted, the Gabby Petito Foundation page was temporarily suspended by Twitter.
Gabby's mon, Nichole Schmidt, wrote that the account had likely been blocked because of a number of fake pages that had cropped up in recent days.
"So our Gabby Petito Foundation page has been restricted, this is most likely due to all the fake pages that have been made already," Schmidt wrote.
"Please be aware of that and we will get this resolved. Thank you all! #gabbypetito #justiceforgabbypetito."
The Sun has reached out to Twitter for comment.
'JUSTICE FOR GABBY'
A link to the foundation's website, however, is now live, having previously been "under construction" in the week since the family first unveiled their plans to launch a charity in Gabby's name.
The website features an image of 22-year-old Gabby with angel wings and a halo above her head, appearing to be walking on clouds in the sky.
It's also advertising the foundation's first official benefit on October 17th, which promises "live music, food, cash bar, 50/50 raffle, [and a] silent auction."
Read our Gabby Petito live blog for the very latest news and updates…
The event will be held in Gabby's hometown of Blue Point, New York and the family has set the price of admission at $20.
The foundation is also selling wristbands on the website for $10, which read: "Justice for Gabby."
"In response to the overwhelming outreach, we are establishing the Gabby Petito Foundation," a post on the site reads. "Please come back and visit as we develop a mission statement to move forward in Gabby's memory."
HELPING OTHER MISSING PEOPLE
Gabby's parents previously said the foundation will be geared towards helping families of other missing people after their daughter's disappearance and death made headlines around the world – highlighting the disparities between cases of missing white women and those of people of color in the process.
Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, her stepfather Jim Schmidt said: "We’re just hoping that through our tragedy of losing Gabby that in the future that some good can come out of it, that we can help other people that may be in [a] similar situation."
Gabby's father Joseph Petito also acknowledged the "influential" role that social media played in helping spread awareness about his daughter's case, adding that it helped to bring her home.
"Social media was amazing and very influential, but to be honest it should continue for other people, too," he said. "This same type of awareness should be continued for everyone."
Addressing the media, he said he wanted to ask everyone to help "all the people that are missing."
"If you don't do that for other people who are missing, that's a shame," he said. "It's not just Gabby who deserves that."
The family's attorney, Richard Stafford, also said on Tuesday that the family was still working out the final details of its mission statement – specifically whether the foundation would help only missing children or adults as well.
"[Gabby Petito] was the bright light in everyone's life that knew her," Stafford said.
"Gabby's family does not want that light to dim, and they want to make some good from the awful tragedy."
Gabby Petito was found dead at a campsite near the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on September 19, after a nine-day search.
A preliminary autopsy report ruled the manner of her death a homicide, but a specific cause of death has not yet been confirmed.
Gabby had been around two months into a planned four-month road trip with her fiance Brian Laundrie, 23, when she was killed.
She was last seen alive on August 27. Brian then quietly returned home to Florida alone on September 1, failing to alert police or Gabby’s family that she was missing.
He reportedly acted “without a care in the world” upon his return, neighbors said, mowing the front yard and enjoying idyllic bike rides with his mom.
As reported by The Sun last week, he also went camping with his family at Fort De Soto Park on September 6.
Gabby was eventually reported missing by her mother in New York on September 11.
Then, on September 14, Brian allegedly vanished after telling his parents he was going hiking at Carlton Reserve.
But they didn’t report Brian missing until three days later when police showed up at their home.
LAUNDRIE AT LARGE
Laundrie is not currently considered a suspect in Gabby's murder but is considered a person of interest.
He also has a warrant out for his arrest on bank fraud allegations after allegedly racking up $1,000 in charges on a debit card between August 30 and September 1 that's believed to have belonged to Gabby.
Law enforcement is still searching Carlton Reserve for traces of Laundrie, while TV star Dog the Bounty Hunter is scouring Fort De Soto.
Gabby's mom, Nichole Schmidt, tweeted for the first time on Saturday, writing: "Mama bear is getting angry! Turn yourself in!"
Brian Laundrie's parents, meanwhile, have denied helping their son evade police and have insisted they do not know where he is.
Their attorney Steve Bertolino said in a statement on Saturday: "They are concerned, but hopeful that he is found alive."
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article